How Can Maintaining My Car Improve Air Quality?
These simple changes can extend the life of your vehicle, save you money on repairs and gas, and help keep the air clean.
Five ways car care can help you protect the air.
- Keep tires inflated to the recommended pressure. Keeping your tires properly inflated improves gas mileage and helps to ensure that your steering system and brakes are working well.
- Change your oil. Changing your oil keeps your engine lubricated, improves gas mileage, and reduces wear and tear on your engine.
- Get that “Check Engine Light” serviced. When the light comes on, it means that there is something wrong with the emissions controls on your vehicle. This condition could mean your car is polluting the air and may impact your gas mileage.
- Stop at the click. Stop fueling when the gas pump clicks. After the click, fumes evaporate into the air, wasting gas, money, and polluting the air.
- Limit your idling. Turn your car off when you are not driving for more than 30 seconds. It wastes fuel and pollutes the air.